Teamwork | Sehar | USIP


  • Kindness and camaraderie are not the default setting for most workplaces in Pakistan, so it is important to let your colleagues absorb your work style and expectations. Place your trust in your team. Let them know that you are doing this and expect them to rise to whatever challenge and task that comes their way. I find that people do their best when they know you are relying on them. I think this goes back to the way Pakistani society is set up, where we live and work in teams constantly and rely on vast networks of people to get things done. It comes naturally to us to come through when we know someone is depending on us.
I find the following works well for me "I'm trusting you to do x. I know you can do it well. I need you to do this because y. It is important to not only explain why you are placing trust in them but also outline why the task is important.

  • Another thing I find useful is that if the task is tough or the timeline tight, acknowledging that really helps. So say, 
"I know this is a tough ask. But, I'm trusting you to do this..." Offering to help and letting them know that you are there to support them or lend assistance where required also helps. And then its important to stay there and work with your team till the task gets done. Seeing everyone pitching in, especially for the tough parts, is a great motivator for everyone and also encourages those who might not be so motivated to join in.



Pakistan Country Representative, United States Institute of Peace

Comments