Interviews | Sana | Novartis

  • In interviews I never ask people where they see themselves in 5 years. To understand why, look back 5 years. Did you think you would be here today or did you plan to be here? Life happens, things evolve, one changes, the things you want, change. I never set myself up for 5 years. I look forward to and plan for the next one year. This helps me set small milestones, every quarter or even every month sometimes. The skill of adaptability is a very important ingredient to success. You don’t adapt, you don’t stay relevant anymore. What is relevant today will not be so after 5 years. I would rather ask a candidate simply what their plans are. Or what they aspire to be / do and take it on from there.
  • Another interview question I always avoid is about the candidate’s weaknesses. No one wants to answer this question and seldom do people answer it truthfully. If I have a temper issue I will never say that, I have one. Better questions can be:
What was your last performance discussion like?
        
Looking back at your career what is the key learning you've had from the projects that didn't work out as you wanted them to?




Sana Wasay
Senior HR Business Partner, TM & OD, Novartis

Comments